Building the Journeyman II
And some history of the "ARO"
 

       Analog Dial         Page 1   Page 2   Page 3               

Mike's nose cone factory is open for business!
Under the block of clamped wood is an electric drill.

It should only take about ten minutes to make a nose cone, but the wooden peg came out of the balsa block. I tried to glue it back in with "hot glue"
but that was a waste of time and it came apart. I then tried 5 minute epoxy but it didn't hold. Finally I used a 2.5 inch deck screw, which worked way
better than the wooden peg and seemed a lot stronger. The wooden peg set me back over an hour, but it was OK, I cut the grass in the meantime.

It's not an exact duplicate and the shank looks bad, but it will do.
Balsawood Journeyman parts!

Putting it all together
 
The paper towel tube, viewed from the bottom
Put all the parts together and it looks like a rocket!

 
The rocket is painted silver. The fins and upper body tube are masked in preparation
of the green paint. I like the silver and blue but I want to keep it looking like the original.
Hung out to dry.
 

 
Here, I've ruined the finish with my impatience!! It FELT dry, but as I started removing the masking tape I put a hand print
on the body tube that wrapped all the way around. Now the rocket will have to dry for another day or two, the hand
print will have to be sanded out and then it needs to be repainted. When all was done there was ...
 
...another setback. These fins had a mirror finish till the masking tape pulled it off.
The tape also ruined the finish on the engine holders, which is why they are now green
After some touch-up the Journeyman II lives!
It weighs 8 oz. with engines, half the weight of the original.

The String Test

Time for "The string test"! The string test is the poor man's wind tunnel. The object is to get some air flowing past the fins fast enough to determine if the
rocket is stable. The rocket is balanced to find its center of gravity, then a string is tied at that point. You then swing the rocket around your head while letting
the string out. If the rocket is stable it will fly nosecone forward. If it isn't stable it will do everything but. The fix for that is to add weight to the nosecone.
 
Perhaps the only picture in existence of someone performing a string test.

Initially the rocket flew sideways. My girlfriend Andrea found two metal washers to add to the nosecone, then it flew straight.

Next