Westinghouse model H-126 "Little Jewel"

   Analog Dial       Page 1       Page 2       Page 3       Page 4       Page 5   

I turned the radio on. The pilot light lit brightly and then dimmed. A good sign. Then... as the vacuum tubes warmed up, the humming began. 60 cycle humming.

I had tested the filter capacitors before I installed them. What had gone wrong? My head hung in woe. The radio worked before I messed with it. Now it was ruined. RUINED!!

To make matters worse, I "shared the experience" with Andrea. So when the radio emitted a loud humming instead of a radio station, she probably thought, 'LOOOO-ZER!" I didn't want to look at her, in case she was making that "loser" gesture on her forehead behind my back. It would have been so humidifying.
 

 

 
Flummoxed and bewildered, I began to trace the connections against the schematic. It turned out I had mixed up two red wires.

How can you mix up two wires? Because they are both red? Actually, I had set a time bomb ticking on the day I started working on the radio, and it had gone off. I drew a diagram of the tubes as they looked from the bottom. I transposed two of the tubes in the drawing.

 
IT WORKS!!!

After fixing the mistake, the radio worked. Now it was time to start adjusting the set. Since I don't have a frequency generator, I do it by ear. That means none of my radios work as well as they could, because there is no way to tell if the local oscillator is actually at 455 kilocycles. With patience and a lot of tuning back and forth and adjusting the transformers I think you can get pretty close.

Then the dial cord broke.

This was a good thing. Better it break now than after everything is put back together. Also, you can tune the dial ten times faster while making adjustments.
 
While I was looking for the dial cord I bought five years ago and now couldn't find, I had an idea. I grabbed the Sony ICF-7600D, which has a digital readout, and tuned it to 455 kilocycles. Then I took the Sky King regenerative radio and tuned it down till the Sony picked up the high pitched tone. (A regen radio oscillates at whatever frequency it is tuned to.) I attached a clip lead to the antenna terminal of the Sky King and used it as a signal generator.

I followed the alignment instructions, somewhat. The lead from the regen radio, now set at approx. 455 kHz,  was connected to the control grid of the 12SF7 and then the control grid of the 12SA7. The I.F. transformers were adjusted till the sound was loudest.

I have to say, I had it darn close just by doing it by ear the night before.

The stations on the dial were really off. To set the dial, I tuned to the highest station the radio could get, which was WCHE at 1520 kHz. I backed out the screw on the tuning condenser and started "walking" WCHE down the dial till I could pick up 1640 (Pennsylvania Turnpike). Then I walked 1640 down the dial a bit and then tuned to 560 (WFIL) to make sure I could still pick it up.

 
The new dial cord is twice as thick. I dare it to break. "How ya like me now? PUNK!"
 
There must be some secret trick to winding a new dial cord. This took me over an hour after two failed attempts.
Can you believe it broke after 70 years? It's the only break I got with this radio.

 
Time for some labels. These were printed with an ink jet printer, then given a coat of satin polyurethane. To get the gold label, a piece of printer paper was sprayed with gold paint. Unfortunately, the ink jet ink doesn't show up on the paint. I put the gold paper in the paper tray of a copy machine and made a copy.
 

 
This was the only label hard to make. UL doesn't make them in color anymore
and I couldn't find one on the Internet. Finally, someone posted a picture of the
bottom of an old washing machine, and it had the UL logo on it!

It was damaged but repaired with some virtual surgery.

A lot of work for something that nobody sees.

 
Here are some Before and After pictures.
 
 
   


 

 
NEXT