Written by the Very Reverend Nicholas B.
Wainwright and published in 1966, this rare book details the first
100 years of the history of the Church of the Messiah.
An Episcopalian Church, it is located at
what was once the center of Gwynedd Township in Montgomery County.
It shares this distinction with the Gwynedd Friends Meeting, a short
The location is on Route 202, Dekalb Pike, near the intersection of
Sumneytown Pike. An interesting aspect of this area is that
there are very few residences in the vicinity, which is the way it
was in 1866 when the church was founded and Gwynedd was predominately farmland.
Pike and Sumneytown Pike have sundered both the church and the
Meeting House from most foot traffic
because of the (potentially deadly) flow of automobiles.
Nevertheless, it is a thriving church, as is Gwynedd Friends
Wainwright's detective work in 1966 produced a very interesting